Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

Carl Vaden Seiffert

Vaden was born January 12, 1920.

His parents were Adolph Ernst Seiffert and Ruby Merle Davis. He was the fourth child of six.

Vaden married Vera Ione Vasbinder on March 28, 1948 in Netarts, Tillamook, Oregon. They had six children: Frank Ernest (March 22, 1949 to March 24, 2013); Living son (1950 to current); Living son (1954 to current); Living son (1957 to current); Living son (1958 to current); and Living son (1960 to current).

Vaden died January 29, 1999 at the age of 79 years, 17 days.


CARL VADEN SEIFFERT, known by many as "Sie", passed away January 29,1999, two weeks after his 79th birthday.
Sie was Born January 12, 1920, on Chehalem Mountain, the fourth child of Adolf and Ruby Seiffert. His brothers: Harold, Waldo, and Ovid; sisters, Doris Tornblade who passed away a little over a year ago, and Naomi Alberding.
Sie married Vera V~binder in March of 1948, and together they raised six sons: Frank, John, Mike, Pat, Joe, Jerry. Sie also had nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Sie spent his early years on Chehalem Mountain, north of Newberg. He was schooled at Chehalem Mountain, Newberg, and Cherry Grove. His siblings all saw him in different lights: protector, pal, or sometimes problem, depending on the sibling, or the sibling's age.
On Sie's first hunting trip as a teen, up the Tualatin River from Cherry Grove, he had a 15-shot 22 long rifle high speed. He spotted a buck deer and emptied the rifle with its pump action without ever firing a shot. Buck fever! Later he became an expert marksman and supplied his family with meat for the table.
After the family moved to the Tillamook area, Sie joined the National Guard and almost immediately was called into the US Army. He was shipped to Fort Lewis and became part of the 41st Division, at a time when World War II was heating up. On December 7,1941, when Pearl Harbor was bombed, he was shipped with his division to Hawaii, arriving on December 21, and spent tile next 3 years in the South Pacific battlefields, where he earned six medals, including the Bronze Star. He was wounded at least once and when shipped home was given Honorable Discharge with a Staff Sergeant rating.
He never talked much about his time in the service to me, but he talked to his sons later on, relating some of the humorous parts of his time overseas.
Not long after he got out of the service, Sie bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle, one of his proudest possessions. He worked driving timber trucks in saw mills, lumber yards, and also bought a boat and fished commercially for salmon for two seasons. The fishing was poor then, and he sold the boat, but became an excellent fisherman for himself and his family.
Sie loved to tell stories about his experiences and adventures. With each telling, he used exactly the same words, gestures, and voice inflections, so that one could almost mime the words while he was telling the story, and some of the younger members of the family did just that.
Many of his stories were about a trip to Alaska in July of 1966 with a house he built on the back of a pickup. Pulling a trailer, with wife and all six boys on board he headed for our northernmost state. After many flat tires on the Alaska highway, he arrived in Kenai, where he spent the next year and five months, working for an airport and a hotel in maintenance and janitorial work. Part of his job at the airport was to jump in a vehicle and chase the moose off the runway for the planes coming in to land.
Wherever he went he made friends. One day, someone came by and asked Sie if he wanted a salmon. "Sure!" said Sie. The man brought a salmon and put it in the back of his pickup truck, so large that it hung over both ends of the tailgate.
One of his friends was a helicopter pilot, and asked Sie if he would like to go for a ride in the helicopter. He took him up 10,000 feet and shut off the engine, then brought it down to the ground by auto-rotation, scaring Si out of his wits, until he landed safely, and said, "Hey, that was kind of fun!"
His son, Jo1m, seeing a cow moose near their house, wanted to get a picture and got too close. The moose charged and ran him up a tree, where he hung just barely above the moose's head for almost tour and one-half hours. Finally the moose's calf wandered away and the mother followed. Jo1m went home to thaw out.
Sie left Alaska to get away from the snow and cold, and arrived in Portland with snow on the ground.
Shortly thereafter, he came to work for me in the plumbing business, where he worked for 14 years. Si worked fast and hard at everything he did with a kind of nervous energy. There wasn't any kind of equipment that he couldn't run, once and do it well. My son-in-law, Mack Todd, in remembering Sie in the plumbing job, said that if anyone hesitated to get in the mud to work, Sie would jump right in and do the job.
Sie was always working on cars, buying and trading cars. While employed by me, he was at one time working under his car without proper blocking, and the car fell on him. Fortunately, the motor had been taken out. His son, Mike, feeling that something was wrong because their dog was acting agitated, went outside, and seeing him under the car, and with superhuman strength, lifted the car and pulled him out by himself. He was taken to the hospital where he was in a coma for two days. I spent those two days at Sie's bedside, praying that God would not take him. He wasn't ready yet. Prayer was the only thing that brought him through that one.
Sie was known for his generosity, even though he had little to give, helping out his kids whenever he could and putting his back into helping people with work that needed to be done. Sie also was quite ingenious in being able to make things with very limited tools, such as cradles for his granddaughters' dolls.
Over Sie's lifetime, he built four houses from the ground up for his family, of which three are still standing that we know of. Sie also loved gardening, and one time, while living in Oak Grove, he planted 127 tomato plants, all producing heavily. There were so many tomatoes that he couldn't even give them away fast enough.
Sie retired from working with the plumbing business at 62 years of age, and moved to Rainier, Oregon, where he did a lot of fishing and working odd jobs at times to supplement his Social Security. It was there that his wife, Vera, died in 1988, leaving a big hole in his life. While living there, he developed a cancerous tumor located between the lungs, requiring the removal of part of both lungs. The operation was successful in removing the tumor, but left Sie with only approximately 20% of his lung capacity, limiting his activities to a minimum.
Between some of his boys and others of his family, Sie was persuaded to move to Portland where he could more easily keep his appointments with the doctors. The lung condition kept getting worse until Sie had the need to be on oxygen all the time.
Sie told me back in 1969 when he came to work for me that he would work for me provided I did not ever preach at him. I kept my word, but lived my life in such a way that through all the ups and downs of owning and running a business, my faith kept me on an even keel. I didn't preach at Sie, but I did a lot of praying for him. After his retirement, I sent birthday or Christmas cards and would write Scripture verses and tell Sie how Jesus loved him.
As Sie's lung condition grew worse, there were many people praying for him, people from this church (son, Mike's church, Errol Heights Baptist in Portland) the men's bible study group from my church (New Vision Fellowship, Free Methodist Church, Beaverton), and family members that knew the Lord. Also, Harold and Darlene Potter moved into the Manor where Sie lived and gave him a new Bible and followed up to see if he was reading it. At a hospital visit a month or so ago, Sie told me that he had asked the Lord into his heart. A few days before Sie's passing, he reconfirmed his decision with family. Sie had two very important dates in his life - that day he was born, and the day he was reborn. In talking with me, he stated, "I wish I had done this years ago."
His brother Ovid

Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page