Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

Edward Ludwig Seiffert

Ed Seiffert was born January 30, 1898 in Scholls, Oregon.

His parents were Samuel Adolph Seiffert and Charlotte Klukas. He was the eleventh child of fourteen.

At age nine he went with his sister Minne to Canada to help with her kids and to help on the farm due to the poor health of Minne's husband Gottfried Erdman.

At age 15 he worked on a threshing crew from Canada back to home in Scholls.

He worked as a fireman on the SP&S (Spokane, Portland & Seattle) railroad line through the Columbia gorge in his late teens or early twenties.

Ed bought his first 40 acres from Oregon Iron & Steel Railroad and cleared enough to plant blackcaps in partnership with Bud Taylor. The forty acres was part of the orginal Rowell donation land claim. During the 1930's he had a garden in the creek bottom that fed at least three families. He had sweet corn that was over ten feet tall.

About 1920 he started clearing land and worked for Will Hesse (dairy) and as a faller for Heaton Sawmill. maybe also for Carlson & Kolbe sawmill. He could fall a tree where ever he wanted. He cleared his own land and built his own stump puller.

Ed was a member of the Oddfellows organization until he married. After he married he dropped his membership due to Nellie's opposition to that fraternal group.

Ed married Nellie Louise Moore on December 6, 1923 and had two daughters, Mary Jane (August 24, 1931 to current), and Katherine Louise (January 21, 1936 to current).

He built the chicken house and barn using timber from logging the place. The barn had a water tank in the loft to provide water to the house. It was used until he added a bathroom upstairs in the house and needed to build a water tank on the hill above the house. When he built things he built them to last.

He built a waterwheel to pump water from the spring to the barn from the creek running through the place. He built a dam for irrigation on the creek then later built the lower dam to irrigate the lower 20 acres.

The dairy got electricty in 1945.

Ed operated a 14 cow dairy. The cows were crossbreds.

1940 through 48 or 49 he served on Mountainside school board until the consolodation of Groner, Mountainside, Midway, Groner, Jacktown, Kinton, and half of Mt. Home school districts combined into Groner school district.

In the early 1950's he straightened creek to float out logs. There were 2 S curves in creek. The curves also were washing out the bridge abutments on the road. The County bridge crew placed the dynamite and Ed lit it. That way the county didn't do it and Ed didn't provide the dynamite.

Ed was a member of the Scholls Community Church.

Ed died in Scholls, Oregon on February 15, 1967 at the age of 69 years, 16 days. He is buried at Mountainside Cemetery in Scholls, Oregon.

1904 Scholls Students.jpg - 105479 Bytes

EdSeiffert1920.jpg - 25601 Bytes Ed as a young man Ed Nellie Seiffert 1965.jpg - 24090 Bytes Ed and Nellie Seiffert in the 1960's

1963 EmmaLydiaAlvinaBertEdEd.jpg - 35089 Bytes Emma, Lydia, Alvina, Bert, Ed and his grandson Ed in 1963 EdNellie stone front.jpg - 64041 Bytes


Daughter Katherine remembers her parents watching her son Ed while she was delivering Karen. The house had no covers over the light switches from the time that electricity was installed. One evening the 2 1/2 year old touched a wire and got shocked. The next morning every light switch had a cover so that Ed's first grandchild wouldn't get shocked again.

Daughter Mary Jane remembers her father having a lot of patience and understanding. He built her a frame to practice pitching through. When a cow was down with milk fever, she would be parked by the road during milking so that she could show the vet the cow. Afterward the vet and her dad would talk and talk which wasn't very interesting.
The horses were a part of daily life. She remembers they would let you crawling under and around them. She would help in moving haw into the barn.
Her father always planted potatoes on the fourth of July.
She remembers one time when they were in the back field, her father stopped and hooked up the horses to the wagon and went and loaded up a load of wood and and left the wagon and her with Aunt Lydia. She helped unload the wood and didn't know until later that he had seen a fire coming and wanted to save as much wood as possible and to keep her safe.

Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page