Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

Simeon Augustus Luper

Sim was born January 15, 1856 in Springdale, Washington County, Arkansas.

His parents were John A. Luper and Eliza A. Ingram. He was the second of six children.

Sim married Martha Melvina Luttrell on January 25, 1874 in Savoy, Washington County, Arkansas. They had nine children: Eliza Jane (December 20, 1875 to April 20, 1932), James Edward (January 22, 1876 to October 7, 1849), John Allen (January 22, 1876 to April 20, 1940), Tennessee America (September 25, 1879 to October 18, 1944), Unkown (1881 to ?), William Shepherd (January 2, 1883 to August 14, 1946), Treecy Alene (February 9, 1886 to June 1, 1964), Samuel Sade (August 21, 1888 to October 25, 1832), and Alvin August (November 19, 1891 to March 9, 1977).

Sim died September 13, 1933 in Johnson, Washington County, Arkansas at the age of 77 years, 7 months, 29 days. He is buried in Stuckey Cemetery, Johnson, Washington Co., Arkansas.

13 September 1933, Fayetteville Daily Democrat
Johnson Man Is Murdered With His Own Gun
S.A. Luper Is Shot Twice Through Head at Johnson
Tom Williamson Held
Tom Williamson of Cave Springs was taken into custody today by Sheriff Hailey Gover for investigation in connection with the death of Sim A. Looper. Williamson is the undivorced husband of a woman with whom Luper has been keeping company, and with whom he was seen at 9 o'clock last night, Sheriff Gover said. No charge has been placed against Williamson and he is held merely for an investigation, officers said. He told Sheriff Gover he and his wife had not lived together for about four years.
S.A. Luper, 78 year old employee of the Johnson Canning factory at Johnson, five miles northwest of here, was found dead in his shack on the factory grounds early today, with two bullets from his own gun fired into the back of his head.
An inquest will be held at about 6 o'clock this evening, but officers and County Coroner Glenn Riggs said that he apparently was murdered. While there was some possibility of suicide, Mr. Riggs said the angle of the bullets indicated that Luper could not have fired them.
No motive for either suicide or murder could be established today. Luper had not been robbed of the $20 in cash he had on him and his watch, and so far as is known, he had no enemies, officers said.
Luper who works at the canning factory during the canning season and serves as caretaker the yearround was found lying on the floor of his shack near the office, by his granddaughter, who came to investigate when he failed to appear on the factory grounds as usual and who fainted when she found the body.
Two Shots in Back of Head
His head was resting on a pile of sacks and his .32 caliber pistol was lying about a foot away on the left side. One shot went through the back part of the head apparently fired from the left side, but failed to penetrate his skull, and the other was fired into the back of his head and the bullet went toward his left temple.
Luper had not been feeling well last night, relatives said, and at about 3 o'clock this morning went to his son's home for a clean shirt and a suitcase. He was in good spirits at the time, it was reported. The night watchman at the canning factory talked to him at about 2 o'clock and he also said he was in good spirits, officers said. The engineer who came to work at the factory at about 5 o'clock said he noticed a light in Luper's house and before he arrived at the factory he heard two shots fired. He did not see anyone leave the house and did not go to Luper's shack since he did not know the shots were fired from there.
Officers went to Johnson early this morning to investigate the death, but had few clues in which to work. The gun had been handled before the officers arrived, eliminating any change of fingerprints. Luper's granddaughter, who discovered his death, collapsed at the house before the officers arrived.

Sim A. Luper, 14 September, 1933, Fayetteville Daily Democrat
Luper's Death Still Mystery
Tom Williamson Is Released When Officers are Convinced He Has Good Alibi
Mysterious death of S.A. Luper, 78 year old canning factory employee early yesterday, today remain unsolved by local officers.
Tom Williamson was released today after a questioning last night had convinced officers that he knew nothing of the murder. Sheriff Hailey Gover and Coroner Glenn Riggs questioned Williamson at the county jail following the inquest it (sic) which a verdict of "death at the hands of an unknown person" was returned.
Wife Testifies
Williamson was taken into custody yesterday after officers had learned that Luper had been attentive to Williamsons estranged wife. At the inquest, Mrs. Williamson testified that while she had been going with Luper for the past two years she had been separated from her husband four years, and said as far as she knew he had no objection to her going with Luper.
Suicide Theory Discredit
Theory of suicide was discredited by a physician who testified at the inquest that while the first shot, which went through the back of Luper's head probably died not kill him, it almost certainly stunned him so that he would have been unable to fire the second shot, which penetrated his brain.
W.C. Divens, owner of the factory where Luper worked, said that at a recent conversation with him, Luper had stated that "a person who takes his own life is a coward or crazy."
Shots Heard at 5 O'Clock
No clue as to who committed the murder early yesterday morning was held by officers. Time of the murder was estimated as about 5 o'clock from testimony of the fireman, who heard the shots as he was on his way to work.


Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page