Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

James Posten Luttrell

James was born April 21,1849 in Lindon, Denton County Texas.

His parents were Shelton Luttrell and Elizabeth Mary Pierce. He was the second child of four.

James married Ava Jane Maberry on November 21, 1878 in Washington County, Arkansas. They had ten children: John Shelton (January 22, 1880 to August 3, 1953); Mary Jane (October 20, 1882 to June 19, 1965); James Robert (December 1884 to July 2, 1886); Margaret Elizabeth (December 8, 1886 to October 23, 1937); Benjamin Franklin (May 16, 1890 to December 13, 1960); Anna Alice (August 10, 1892 to September 8, 1951); Minnie Olive (March 8, 1895 to January 20, 1995); Lester Esteen (November 9, 1897 to May 20 1973); Clyde Willie (February 12, 1900 to May 31, 1984); and Irvin Leo (September 29, 1902 to July 24, 1970).

James died in Washington County, Arkansas on July 14, 1903 of typhoid at the age of 54 years, 2 months, 23 days. He is buried in Mt. View Cemetery in Stone, Arkansas.

JamesP Ava Jane Luttrell.jpg - 24090 Bytes James P. and Ava Jane   JP Ava Luttrell Stone.jpg - 71988 Bytes

The Mountain View Cemetery is supported entirely with donations by volunteers. If your ancestors rest here, contact Janet at to learn how to honor their memory and maintain their beautiful resting place.


Family history as told by Mary Jane Marr in the spring of 1964

My father located about five miles from his father. We visited them real often. There was a spring just above the house where it was fun to dip up a bucket of cold water coming right out of the hill and to get a nice cool drink on a hot day.

When the Civil Was was on, my father was sixteen. They had a battle at Prairie Grove, and he visited the field after the battle and picked up some cannon balls. They were a little larger than a baseball and very heavy.

My father bought eighty acres of cheap land, had to clear it, pick the rocks off, pile them on the line for a fence, and build a small house. He was 28 and my mother was 18 when they were married and moved to this farm. He had a team of mules and a cow or two. Soon after they were married they picked out a nice level spot near the road and cleared it of timber and rocks. He dug a well, walled it up with smooth sand rocks, and built a large log room with a room upstairs and a large room on the back side for the kitchen and dining room. He hewed out these logs, making them nice and straight. Most of their family of ten (John, Mary, Robert, Bettie, Frank, Alice, Olive, Lester, Clyde, Irvin) were born in this house. When I was eight or ten, he had a carpenter put siding on the outside and ceiling on the inside. He painted it white and I thought we had a wonderful, fine home. We did for it contained much love and understanding.

When I was about eight, I was sorry in a way that we had that well. I knocked a pan off the curb into the well. It landed on the bottom and was floating like a boat. When I told my Dad what happened, he said, "Well, we can get it if it is floating." "Come on, Mary," he said. He got a nice clean board and put it across the old oaken bucket. Then he said, "Climb on this board. I am going to let you down to pick up the pan and bring it up." I said, "Will the pully break?" He replied, "It is chained real good and you are not much heavier than the bucket filled with water." Maybe you think I wasn't frightened! I had tears in my eyes, but I could see the water when I got near it. I yelled, "Hold it." I picked the pan up real quickly and was on my way out. I never pulled that stunt again.

It was near Mountain View, Arkansas, that William Marr and Mary Luttrell met at Sunday school in the spring of 1898, and we have been going steady ever since. We were married Nov. 26, 1903. We were to have been married in July but my father took ill with typhoid fever. He only lived two weeks, passing away July 14, 1903. Then Mother had the fever and lay for 90 days before she passed away (Octobor 4, 1903. It was very hard for me to leave that little family. Irvin was only 14 months old, but Grandma said that I had kept William waiting long enough and that she would stay with the children for a time. William and I lived on a farm near Mountain View until March, 1909.

Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page