Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

Clyde Wille Luttrell

Clyde was born February 12, 1900 in Arkansas.

His parents were James Posten Luttrell and Ava Jane Mayberry. He was the tenth child of eleven. His parents both died when he was three years old. He was raised by his older brothers and sisters.

In the 1910 census he was living in Weddington, Washington County, Arkansas in his sister Bettie's household. His WWI draft card shows he was working in Buxton in a sawmill on September 8, 1918 and living with his sister Alice Hudson.

Clyde married Mary Whittaker (applied for the marriage license on May 31, 1919 in Cowlitz County, Washington. They had two sons, Willie Gerald Luttrell (May 14, 1922 to August 16, 1994) and Richard Irvin Luttrell (November 26, 1923 to April 30, 1995). The couple divorced.

In the 1920 census he is listed as married to Mary and lived in Buxton, Washington County, Oregon.

On September 16, 1929 Clyde married Alta Violet Mason. They had ten children, the first three which did not live out their first day. Pauline (January 28, 1930), Unnamed (November 9, 1930), Clyde Willie, Jr. (July 20, 1931), Robert Jasper (August 24, 1932 to January 1, 2003), Leonard Lester (August 29, 1933 to current), Lavinia Rae (September 11, 1934 to February 17, 1991), Living Son (May 4, 1937 to current), Phyllis Deanna (May 8, 1942 to November 21, 2015), Living Daughter (May 20, 1945 to current), Terrance Dale (June 26, 1948 to current)

In the 1930 census he was living in St. Helens, Columbia County, Oregon and was married to Alta. In 1938 and 1940 he is listed in the Marshfield, Coos County, Oregon directory as a resident.

Clyde was sawyer in lumber mills for many years. He was highly respected and could pick and choose what company he worked for.

He was an avid hunter and fisherman.

Clyde died in Eugene, Oregon on May 31, 1984 at the age of 84 years, 2 months, 19 days. He is buried in Columbia Memorial Gardens in Columbia County, Oregon.

Mountain View School 1912.jpg - 48500 BytesMountain View School in Arkansas in 1912

L-R Mary, Betty, Frank, Alice, Olive, Lester, Clyde, Irvin Luttrell.jpg - 37871 Bytes Luttrell siblings left to right: Mary, Betty, Frank, Alice, Olive, Lester, Clyde, Irvin

Clyde Alta Wedding.jpg - 22674 Bytes   ClydeAlta50th.jpg - 76907 Bytes
Clyde and Alta Violet's wedding photo   Clyde and Alta's 50th wedding anniversary and Bill

LuttrellsBledsoesMarrs.jpg - 18785 Bytes     Clyde Alta 1950s.JPG - 47010 Bytes Clyde and Alta in the 1950's
Alta & Clyde, William & Mary Marr, and Olive & Sam Bledsoe

George Brock, Clyde Luttrell, Sam Bledsoe and Richard and Willie Luttrell.

Clyde Leonard Ed 1983.jpg - 28826 Bytes Four generations of Luttrells: Leonard holding Jacob, Clyde, and Ed holding Ben.

clyde alta luttrell stone.jpg - 104603 Bytes


Clyde was a sparring partner for professional boxers as a young man. He beat an up and coming boxer. Was encouraged to turn pro, but didn't due to his family responsiblities.

Grandson Ed remembers being in the back seat of his grandparents car driving up the road toward their farm and Grandpa hitting a pheasant. Grandpa jumped out of the car, grapped the pheasant and threw it into the trunk. During the short drive to the farm noises could be heard from the trunk. When they arrived at the farm, Grandma took Ed into the house while Grandpa removed the pheasant and cut it's head off. Sunday dinner turned out to be a delicious pheasant meal.

Son Leonard remembers hunting on the South Fork of Millcoma River in the Coos Bay area on Wheyerhouser land. They both shot at the same time at a 5 point elk. It dropped in the fork of a myrtlewood tree. They had to cut the elks head off just to get it out of the tree. Dad said he killed it becase the hole behind the shoulder was bigger than the hole in the neck. Leonard believes that either wound was sufficent to kill the elk. Leonard stills has the rack to that perfect 5 point elk.

Son Leonard remembers trapping bears above siltez in abandoned apple orchards with his dad. One time they were checking the traps and a only carring a 22 rifle instead of the 30-30. Dad always chained the trap to a 6 to 9 inch vine maple with a six foot long chain. On that day they followed the trail until they found the bear hung up. After shooting the bear, they realize that the bear was only caught by two toes and they would have been in serious trouble if that bear had got lose. They never checked traps again without the 30-30.

Son Leonard remembers his dad getting two tickets to the Astoria fishing derby from a tire salesmen in Silitz. Bob was givin the second ticket, but Leonard got to go along because they were told that often a spot would open up. Leonard was able to get on another boat and left before the boat carrying his dad and brother. They had gotten back to the dock before Leonard and as his boat came up to the dock his dad held up 2 fingers. Leonard replied by holding up one finger and then lifting a 30 pound chinock salmon. He remembers that his dad and brother about fell off the dock as they had really been skunked.

Son Leonard remembers his dad shooting deer on the hillsides around the mill where he worked. He would see a deer, go get his rifle, shoot the deer, put the rifle up and go get the deer. He would hang it in the barn and then tell the men that if they needed meat to go get some. No deer was ever wasted and he provided about 1 deer a month. One time he told the wife of a man named Shorty that there was meat in the barn. She went up and got a hindquarter. That day someone had reported shots to the state police who arrived to check out the suspected poaching. As the men got off work, Shorty asked the officer if he was looking for poachers? He then invited him to look in his freezer and as they walked toward his house, his wife saw them coming. She hid the hindquarter under the bed. Shorty didn't know about the meat until after the officer left.

Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page