Graphic1.gif - 71263 Bytes

John Edwin Fox

John was born July 16, 1895 in York, Nebraska.

His parents were Leroy Carson Fox and Eva Jane Galvin. He was the fifth child of eight.

John married Adelaide Lucretia Obear on February 18, 1921 and had two Children: Harriet Jessie (October 8, 1922 to April 12, 2013) and John Bell (August 14, 1925 to April 13, 1981).

John got a job at a lumber yard in Clairmont after the family came to California in 1913. He registed for the Draft (WWI), but he wasn't chosen, so in December of 1917 he joined the Navy. He said he figured the Navy would be better than the Army because at least on a boat your bed and food would always be right there with you. Boot camp was in San Diego and John chose to be a radio operator.

The training for radio operators was in Caimbridge, Massachuestts and the school was on the Harvard grounds which had been closed to train soldiers. Training lasted for one year and he was then on a torpedo boat in the Pacific for a short time. He was then stationed for the rest of the war in Washington state in the Tatoosh Islands. This was a ground station where the radio operators watched the weather and guarded the Straits of Juan De Fucha.

After the 1918 Armistice, the government changed the duration for enlisted men so John asked for a discharge. He got a commercial radio license and signed on a freight ship on its way to Liverpool. The ship when through the Panama Canal and when it reached Norfork, Virginia, John changed his mind and decided to go back to Seattle (he wanted to visit a girlfriend in Fall River, Mass. but didn't have enough money.)

He finally ended up in Glendale, Ca working at the Fox Woodsum Lumber Co. Frank Fox, son of George Fox, was a part owner of the company after marrying into the Woodsum family.

While living in Glendale, John got a sore thoat and his sister suggested a woman doctor she knew. He was "somewhat skeptical" of a woman doctor, but agreed and she came to examine him. He knew Adelaide about one year before they were married.

John and Adelaide lived in Burbank. In 1937, friends of theirs built a trailer, so they did also. The trailer was built using aircraft construction methods learned by brother George while employed by Lockheed.

Shortly after building the trailer they traveled to Eugene, Oregon with the trailer to visit their friends the Merrills. They ended up talking to a real estate man to find out how to get to the Merrill's place. The real estate man insisted on showing them some property he had for sale not far from the Merrills.

They bought the 240 acres (between Elmira and Noti for $2,400. John had $1,200 saved from a Vet's pension and the rest of the money came from the sale of timber off the property.

In 1940, a gravel road was built making the property accessible and the Foxes decided to build a log house. John built the house using a saw, axe, hammer, and a small tractor he brought up from California. Shortly after this, Adelaide moved up to Oregon as she had refused to move up until there was a road into the place.

John died in Gaston, Oregon on December 14, 1983 at the age of 88 years, 4 months, 28 days. He was cremated.

John and Dewey

Fox farm.jpg - 54694 Bytes
The 50 acre farm on Sheffler Road out of Elmira that John bought and logged. He built the house and outbuildings.

George and John Fox.jpg - 28323 Bytes Brothers George and John   HarrietJohnEAdelaideFox.jpg - 21163 Bytes John and Adelaide and their first child.

JohnEFox Children.jpg - 23979 Bytes John and his children

JohnEFox MotherandChildren.jpg - 21718 Bytes Daughter, son John, ?, John, and his mother Eva.

JohnEandCelia.jpg - 23823 Bytes John and his granddaughter Celia

JohnAdelaideGeorgeLorita Fox.jpg - 24491 Bytes John and Adelaide with George and Lorita Fox

Eva Fox 100th.jpg - 91332 Bytes John, George, Pearl, and Blanche with their mother Eva on her 100th birthday in 1967.

JohnEAdalaideJohnBFox stone.jpg - 46408 Bytes
This stone is in Moutainside Cemetery in Scholls Oregon.


Grandson Myron remembers when he wasn't communicating well with his grandpa. He had fallen an ash tree across the creek and it was in a bind between two trees. As he prepared to cut the log in half, his grandpa came up and told him to give him the chainsaw. After he got the saw he moved to the other side of the tree and cut the log in half. The log jumped over 10 feet when the cut was done and Myron realized that his grandpa had saved his bacon.

The grandkids remember that grandpa smoked cigars. You could smell them clear from the barn at the house.

Back to AnAmericanFamily Home Page